Looking for a great supplier of roving? Want to find an organic seed company in the Pacific Northwest? Just looking for some great blogs to read or some quick tips on how to live sustainably? Check out my favorite resources by category, and feel free to leave a comment with YOUR favorites as i’m adding to this list all the time.
Be sure and check out our “blogroll” in the sidebar for our favorite homesteading, cooking and sustainability blogs.
Cooking & Eating “Real Food”
- Wild Fermentation: a great online companion to the book.
- The Art of Fermentation: An In-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
- Find what vegetables are in season near you
- Vegan and vegetarian cooking by Christina Cooks
- The Alchemist: brew pub and culinary magic in Waturbury, VT
- The “World’s Healthiest Foods“
- Cooking with Chevon (goat meat)
- Chow Swap
- Car for your Cast Iron
No Monsanto! – Organic/ non-GMO/ Heirloom seed suppliers:
- Wild Garden Seed (Philomath, OR)
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
- Sand Hill Preservation Center (Iowa)
- New World Seeds & Tubers (Washington)
- Peace Seeds (Corvallis, OR)
- Adaptive Seeds (Oregon)
- Seed Savers Direct
- Old Blue Seed Company -Native Oregon Seeds
Other gardening resources:
- Planting Dates for Oregon
- Cold tolerant plants
- What’s That Bug.com: id that pest or companion in the garden BEFORE you squish!
- Plants to grow for your compost
- Planting an Asparagus Bed - great for food and an attractive screen!
- Gardening for mental health: bacteria in the soil as good as Prozac?
- Top 10 “anti-depressant” veggies to grow and eat
- Workshops at Sunbow Farms
- Growing and Processing Flax
- Awesome rain barrel system
- Seasonal planting calendars
- Buy/Rent/Borrow - Resources for landowners in the Benton County area
Farming (Biodiversity, soil, crops, general livestock)
- Sustainable Farming Connection – so many great tips and links!
- Beginning Farmers - OSU Small Farms
- Alternative Crops and Enterprises
- DIY animal feeder
- Oregon Small Farms Newsletter
- The “4d” rule – Preserving salmon/steelhead habitat in Oregon
- Building Farmers in the West
- Women Owning Woodlands network
- Farm Dreams
- Nectar Bee Supply
- Farm Stay USA – List of farm stays in the U.S.
- Custom Sythes
Local Farms/Farmers (Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon):
- Morgan River Ranch – Australian Shepherds and Murray Grey Cattle in Bellfountain
- Burmudez Family Farm – Crafts, produce, flowers and more in Independance
- The Mushroomery – Cultivated and wild harvested mushrooms in Lebanon
- Leaping Lamb Farm – Farm Stay in Alsea
- Aragon Alpacas – Fine fiber in Eugene
- Midway Farms – Farm experience day camp in Albany
- Tyee Winery and Family Farm – Corvallis
- Hum Sweet Hum – Alpacas in Creswell
- Lake View Farm – North of Corvallis
Preserving the Harvest
- Spindlewood Co: fine, handcrafted, well balanced spindles
- Ravelry.com: a community of fiber artists
- Bellwether Wool Co: pin drafted roving
- Just Jussi: Knitting patterns and other fun
- Creekside Fiber Mill: Create yarn, roving or bats from your fiber/ Lebanon, OR
- Fantasy Fibers: For all your fiber processing needs/ Canby, OR
- Spinning Daily: Projects, magazines, blogs and more all about making yarn by hand
- Interweave: Publishers of art and craft magazines, books, shows and more.
- Knitting Daily: Projects, magazines and blogs about knitting
- The Knit Picks Blog
- Getting Started Feeding Raw + FAQs
- Feeding a Raw Diet – FAQ
- Feed your dog “Raw Meaty Bones“
- Wholesome foods
- Preventing/Killing Fleas, Naturally!
- Essential Oils for Flea Control
- Recommended Reading
- Raw Feeding Yahoo Group
- Backyard Chickens.com: a community of urban and non-urban chicken enthusiasts
- Choose the best chicken for you- a chart to chicken breeds
- My Pet Chicken .com
- Chicken brooder and hover plans from Provenance Farm
- Jenks Hatchery – Chicks raised in Oregon
- Cuts of the hog
- Mosaic Farms, Philomath, OR. A farming model we hope to follow in our own hog ventures.
- Sugar Mountain Farm: Pastured Pigs in Vermont
- Rise and Shine Rabbitry - Excellent tips on rabbit raising techniques
- Rabbit genetics – get your Punnet squares ready!
- Herbs for rabbits.
- Complete rabbit husbandry guide from the United Nations
- Safe/Toxic foods for rabbits
- Rabbit records:
General Homesteading & Housekeeping:
Local Meat Growers and Farms:
DIY Natural Cleaning/Body Care Recipes:
Suppliers and Favorite Vendors * natural products and all the ingredients you need for my DIY recipes
Home Improvement: Recommended Contractors/ Service Providers / Tax Credits
- Oregon Residential Energy Tax Credits/Rebates
- Consumer Power Incentives/ Rebates
- Reddy Sweep – Chimney Sweep in Philomath, OR
- Build It Better Yourself
- The Knitter’s Companion
- Getting Started Knitting Socks (Getting Started series)
- The Knitter’s Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover’s Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
- The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook: More Than 200 Fibers, from Animal to Spun Yarn
- The Big Book of Socks: The Ultimate Beyond-The-Basics Guide to Knitting Socks
- Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game
- Encyclopedia of Country Living, 10th Edition
- Books by Joel Salatin This “unconventional” farmer has amazing things to say about how to farm naturally, profitably, and in harmony with the creatures and land you are trying to cultivate
Visit my Amazon store for more great book & product recommendations sorted by category: