Cast iron. Chicken. Spuds. Panko bread crumbs. These are the basic ingredients for my favorite dinner. It’s so easy, which is great when my head is too full of conflicting home repair bids and comparison shopping to want to do any more thinking!
“Shake and Bake” Chicken and Spuds (Serves 2)
- 2 chicken breasts or thighs, skin on or skinless (cook thighs and breasts to serve 4 or two with lunch leftovers)
- 2 potatoes – i like red ones
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs seasoned with generous pinches each:
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne powder
- Mustard powder
- Olive oil and butter
1 hour before dinner time:
- Heat oven to 400 with seasoned cast iron pan in oven
- Cut potatoes in half and drizzled cut halves with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper
- Combine spices with panko bread crumbs and put in a bag – i use old bread bags
- Toss chicken, 1 piece at a time in panko mixture
- Remove hot cast iron from the oven and drop a teaspoon or so of butter or coconut oil in the pan to coat the bottom
- Place chicken skin side down if using skin-on chicken in pan. Tuck potatoes cut side down around the chicken and bake 20 minutes
- Flip and bake another 20 minutes
Serve this with a side of steamed broccoli for a complete and scrumptious meal! Sure to please everyone from chicken finger loving kids to chicken friend steak loving men to … well anyone who likes chicken!
What’s your go-to weeknight meal?
8 Responses to My Favorite Meat and Potatoes
Yum! I would love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Hop!
Lisa Lynn recently posted…The HomeAcre Hop!
Just copied the recipe off . . . hubby should love it! And an easy, yummy recipe when the kids come to visit! Thanks for sharing.
Do you think this would work just as well with a dutch oven? I don’t have a cast iron pan….
Sounds SO yum…
is it cast iron or enamel? i’m not sure if it would be the same, and it would be harder to flip. You might do as well in stainless steel… good luck!
Miranda recently posted…Corgis and Chicks: Baby Belina
It’s a Le Creuset dutch oven – enameled cast iron. I’ve roasted chickens in it before. I think it will work if I put some Pam on it…thoughts?
no Pam! Must use butter! BUTTER! 😉
Miranda recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Best Corgi Expression EVER
Butter makes your batter taste better, my dad always said! LOL!
OK, sound great, will give it a go!
How fun! I emailed Patrice and told her to come over here and look what she got!! You are going Christmas sphoping for the kids-I thought I was one of the few that did that. Although you know who is on Santa’s naughty list. A few weeks ago we had overnight guests in our yard (a bunch of cows from our neighbor). They left a bunch of poop everywhere. While it is nice fertilizer it is something that Roscoe is drawn to. He has resisted all temptation till this morning. He just had to roll in it. He came in stinking to high heaven and needed an emergency shower/bath. Luckily daddy was home to help us the roads are too icey for him to go to work this morning. I told furry son there is still time for Santa to give his gifts to good doggies. He only has to be good another 10 days and he is free.Carey and a now better smelling Roscoe