As promised – Fiber Friends is taking a back seat to Birdsong Farm this Friday and we’re stoked to offer an amazing set of canning supplies to one lucky reader! Thanks so much to Ball for hosting this wonderful giveaway and for sending me some seriously awesome stuff to review.* Look at all this neat stuff:
Today’s giveaway includes THESE awesome items (Which can all be found at FreshPreservingStore.com):
- 1 set of Quart Heritage Green Jars
- 1 set of Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars (seriously, these things match my kitchen perfectly!)
- The Ball Blue Book
- 1 Fresh Herb Keeper
- 1 set of two Ball Frozen Herb Starters
- Seriously cool FreshCut Gourmet HERB SCISSORS
- Dry Herb Jars, 4-Ounce, 4-Pack
Right? That’s like 2 big boxes of awesome stuff to get you ahead of the game on preserving season in style, no less! But before i post the rules of the game, here is my honest opinion of the herb shears and frozen herb keepers.
1. Frozen Herb Starters: I’m not generally one to store fresh herbs in water or oil, though i’ve done it and these would be great for that. I AM one to make as many batches of pesto as i can get out of my garden in a season and store that in the freezer. I usually use the regular ole’ ice cube trays. That works. They’re also really hard to get the pesto out of without reaming on the ice cube trays. THESE little babies are great: they hold more than a regular ice cube, per cube, take up less space in the freezer, already have a little lid vs wrapping in plastic wrap and are much easier to pop the cubes out of for long term storage in a ziplock. My rating: A!
2. HERB SCISSORS : I’m more of a slice and dice kinda gal and don’t usually use kitchen gadgets for my chopping. That being said, these scissors are just plain cool. I totally channel some Edward Scissorhands when snipping with these bad boys. How do they work? Pretty well. Not great for chopping thicker bigs like the stems of basil, but great for just the leaves. Would be awesome for chives, especially for achieving those picture perfect chive sprinkles for baked potatoes and garnish. When i first used these i got frustrated because a lot of the herbage got stuck in between the tandem blades… then i realized AH HA the green holster doubles as a poker-outer of those crannies. Pretty nifty! My vote: B+!
I don’t have any dried herbs on hand so i didn’t get the chance to use the dry herb jars, and all my fresh herbs are plucked right from the garden. I did start a batch of fermented pickles in a quart jar that look especially vibrant through that green glass. I can’t wait to try out all these goodies and i know you’ll feel the same! You want them, don’t you? Well, here’s how you can get them:
Enter the Giveaway!!!
Giveaway will run for just TWO DAYS and ends at 6:00 PM PST tomorrow (Saturday the 16th). I will decide the winner based on your comment so be sure and post a new comment for each of the following three chances to win to have them all counted.
2. Pick one (or more) of the photos above and “Pin” it to Pinterest with the tags #canitforward and @BallCanning in your Pin description
3. Share this post on your Facebook page and be sure and tag @PocketPause to encourage your foodie/prepper/homsteader/homemaker friends to join in!
Don’t forget to COMMENT for EACH of your entries. I will choose the winner tomorrow night and post it to my Facebook and Twitter feeds. Will it be you?? I hope so! In the meantime, head back here tomorrow for a live feed of Can It Forward Day and do some canning with us!
August 16th is International Can-It-Forward Day!
- Watch the live webcast of canning demonstrations featuring celebrity chef by Hugh Acheson
- Join us for the taping of the live webcast with Hugh Acheson in New York City at Brooklyn Borough Hall starting at 10a on 8/16/14
- Schedule of events:
- 10:00am – Pepper Jelly demonstration by Chef Sara featuring the FreshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker
- 10:45am – Tips on urban gardening & herb preservation
- 11:00am – Peach Siracha Jam demonstration by Marisa McClellan of Food in Jars
- 11:30am – Crafting in Ball jars with staff from Martha Stewart Living
- 11:45am – Hugh Acheson Preserving and Mixology demonstrations
- 1:15pm – Special Mixology demonstration with local mixologists
- 1:30pm – Salsa Verde demonstration by Chef Sarah featuring the FreshTECH Automatic Home Canning System
Share your favorite Can-It-Forward Day moments with friends via social media with the hashtag #canitforward.
(*Items were sent to me with no strings attached, other than posting my honest review and participating in Can It Forward Day.)