This recipe is very easy: make it with our kiddos and start a family tradition!
Lemony Sugar Cookies
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 3 T lemon juice
- Preheat 350
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy and well integrated
- Add eggs and beat well
- Beat in vanilla & lemon juice
- On top of wet ingredients or in separate bowl mix dry ingredients well
- Mix dry ingredients with wet
- Divide dough into 4 parts, wrap in saran and chill in fridge several ours
- On floured board roll portions out, not too thin, not too thick, cut with cutters
- Bake on cookie sheets 8 – 10 minutes
PS: These photos were taken when I used a pre mixed 50/50 whole wheat, white flour. This made the cookies browner, more textured, and just plain “not as good.” I would recommend sticking to all purpose white flour.
After the cookies have cooled, decorate with some fun icing and maybe some sprinkles. I use confectioners sugar and water, but you could add cream of tartar or make fancy egg white frosting. Have fun with it!
Does your family have a traditional holiday recipe that everyone makes together?