Here’s another eggy recipe to help use up those boiled eggs. I normally advocate only using fresh and local eggs, but you may want to choose eggs that have sat around for a week or 3 for boiling, especially if you want to make devilled eggs vs egg salad. Freshies are just too darned hard to peel!
I love deviled eggs, despite them maybe not loving me so much. The husband loves them even more, so what better snack to whip up post Easter…. especially when you’ve got some smoked salmon on your hands! Firstly, one must boil eggs to be devilled CORRECTLY.
To boil the eggs:
Place eggs in pan and cover with 1 inch of COLD water, along with 1 tsp of baking soda if using fresh eggs. Bring to a boil on med/high heat. Once boiling, cover and remove from heat, set a timer for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes have elapsed, pour out the hot water and put the eggs in a bowl of ice water then the fridge until ready to use.
Most ingredients are to taste, you just need a creamy consistency, this is about what i tend to:
- 6 boiled eggs, halved with yolks removed
- 2 spoonfuls of mayo, use the real stuff
- 1-2 spoonfuls of dijon or spicy mustard
- a pinch of fresh dill, paprika (i love the spicy smoked variety), garlic powder
- finely chopped smoked salmon and green onions, about 1 slice of salmon
- salt and pepper